Normally I tell clients, bosses and people I talk with at conferences that I spend 80% of my time focused on 80% of my paid search business because that’s where I can have the biggest impact. I can see the largest return for my efforts in terms of new customers coming in and increasing profitable revenue.
It’s a common knowledge that I always advise clients to look at the top 10 countries that produce 80% of their revenue and make sure each country has their own AdWords account. Your company could have 15 countries that make up 80% of your revenue but I’d not go beyond that amount as it becomes a lot of work for one person to manage.
Organization of information is cleaner across your accounts by country
Learning what keywords & ad text is working for each country. One size doesn’t fit all
Spotting trends in data is a lot easier by country in AdWords & Google Analytics (GA)
Growth isn’t an issue as you’ve room to grow each country like its own mini-business
A bonus is when you hire a person or two to join your team, you can give each person a set of countries to manage and not worry about having to break out each county at that point. If you did, you’d lose all that account history (and quality score potentially) you’ve build up because you didn’t plan for the future.
Now what I’m about to say goes against everything I just said above because you’re not dealing with 80% of your business, you’re dealing with the other 20%. Unless money is unlimited where you work. You need to consolidate resources and make a Global Adwords Account targeting non-top 10 countries.
Lets say you want to quit your job tomorrow and start a business renting designer jeans to the middle class based on a monthly subscription fee… or maybe a one off cost for the weekend.
You setup your AdWord account and have the perfect ad copy, keywords and account settings. You put in your budget for each campaign and just before you launch you add in your location targeting.
What I see clients do from Toronto to London and back to Vancouver is put everything major English speaking country under each campaign. The challenge is you’ve countries fighting for budget and no one country can truly max out their budget and capture all the leads or customers for that market.
Oz & NZ start spending their budget and then the UK and by the time you start spending money in USA, you’ve spent almost half your campaign budget, which doesn’t leave a lot of room for USA.
DigitasLBi’s 2015 Connected Commerce study of retail trends reveals a significant rise in the use of connected devices. Consumers now use a total of 5 devices before making a purchase; a significant increase from the 2.8 devices reported in 2014.
This global reports shows not just a shift but a change in habits across 17 participating countries include Australia, Belgium, China, Denmark, Dubai, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, India, Japan, the Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom and the United States.
While traveling around Asia from October until 9th December, I launched a blog post series on how to create a profitable performance campaign. I picked this topic because after being in this industry for 10 years and working across North America, Australia and Europe, it’s still the basics (to intermediate) items I see a lot of people get wrong. Plus talking to my Google CSRs, seems to be their issue to.
If you’re reading beyond this paragraph then please make sure you’ve the following done already:
Review account structure and that you’re using negative keywords ruthlessly
Is your AdWords account and Google Analytics (GA) linked?
Check that your YouTube account, G+ Profile and other analytics package are synced up with GA or your main analytics package. You’ll be surprised how often this isn’t the case
Review the account, campaign and adgroup settings on your account(s)
Make sure all your URLs are live (no 404 page error or broken links)
Have seasonal stock running? That should be turned off!
Double check your match type and location targeting
Don’t mistakenly have display campaigns active do you?
Working in the performance marketing space for 8 of the last 10 years has been amazing. I’ve been able to use many tools and services to do my job better (and faster). Maintaining quality should always been […]
The Problem 2016. There are more startups than money, talent or consumers can support or even VC money can fund. We’re reaching a point where the pendulum is swinging back in the other direction for […]