In short, achievements are goals offered up by the game’s developer. They can be as simple, as complex, or as off the wall as any of the following examples:
- Finish the game.
- Earn a 100% rating for finding all secrets and items.
- Beat a level or the entire game within a set time limit.
- Beat a player online ranked several levels higher than you.
- Compete with or against someone from a different country.
- Beat all the preset high scores.
- Finish a level in a stealth game without ever being spotted.
If Old Spice is just the beginning and this takes off, I can see this being a very lucrative initiative. This almost seems like one of those why didn’t I think of it ideas. Soon there will be no place left unturned in the goal to advertise within video games. Will it still be a hot commodity at that point?